Friday 13 August 2010

Musn't Loose The Punctum


... it is this element which rises from the scene, shoots out of it like an arrow, and pierces me. A Latin word exists to designate this wound, this prick, this mark made by a pointed instrument: the word suits me all the better in that it also refers to the notion of punctuation, and because the photographs I am speaking of are in effect punctuated, sometimes even speckled with these sensitive points; precisely, these marks, these wounds are so many points. This second element which will disturb the studium I shall therefore call punctum; for punctum is also: sting, speck, cut, little hole - and also a cast of the dice. A photographs's punctum is that accident which pricks me (but also bruises me, is poignant to me).

Camera Lucida, Roland Barthes.

Photo by Ungtblod

No comments:

Post a Comment